There are three primary streams of study after 12th; the Arts Stream, the Commerce Stream and the Science stream. Science stream is further divided into two different sub-categories; Maths category and Biology category. The most famous career options in India are Medical and Engineering and they are only pursuable through science stream. However,science stream is a field of study
which demands lot of hard work. The subjects are bulky and things need to be understood through reasoning and calculations.
Career options available in science: Career Scope after 12th in science is high and opportunities always keep on knocking at the door. Most of the industries and organizations across the world always look for professionals with a background in the science stream. In this field of study there are large numbers of career options available and most of them have high scope and demand. Some of the most popular careers in science listed below with further details about them:
MBBS(Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery): Career in biology after 12th as MBBS is the best career option available for science stream student. This is a four and half year long course with additional mandatory one year of internship under the supervision of senior doctors. This course is considered to be challenging with its bulky syllabus and long academic session but after the completion of the course, it is one of the highest paying jobs. The salary range for such professionals is 3 to 15 lakhs per year in India. There are many professionals earning more than this range too.
Where to study: For choosing a careeras MBBS in India, one needs to get the admission into a recognized medical college
through the entrance exams conducted at different levels. There are National level, state level as well as college level entrance exams and the admission to this course is made on merit basis in these entrances. Some of the top colleges to study MBBS in India are as follows:
- (AIIMS) All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
- Christian Medical College, Vellore
- Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
- Armed Force Medical College, Pune
- St. John’s Medical College, Bangalore
BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) and BAMS (Bachelor of Ayurveda medicine and Surgery):
BDS course is a four year long professional program plus internship of 1 year while BAMS is a five and half year long course which also include internship. One can be eligible to pursue these careers after the completion of 12th with Biology, Physics and Chemistry. The BDS course leads a person to a career as a dentist while the BAMS course leads a person to a career as a doctor of AYURVEDIC medicines. The admission process to these courses are similar to that of MBBS and it is mandatory to go through entrance exams if one cannot pay high admission fees through management seats.Here is detailed list of careers in medical field.
Top BDS colleges:
- Kasturba Medical College and college of Dental Surgery, Manipal
- Goa Dental College & Hospital
- Dr B R Ambedkar Institute of Dental Sciences & Hospital
- HP Govt Dental College
Top BAMS Colleges:
- Dr.BRKR Govt.Ayurved College, Hyderabad
- Dr.NR Shastry Government AYURVEDIC College, Vijayawada
- Government AYURVEDIC College, Patna
- Govt. Ayurved Medical College, Bangalore
Engineering: Eligibility for engineering course is to have 12th pass with subject combination of Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry, also there is minimum percentage marks limit depending upon colleges generally its 50%. This is also a professional course which is four years long and is als one of the best career options after 12th with non-medical. This kind of career requires hard work as well as intelligence that one would need to crack the bulky and challenging syllabus structure. There are many categories of engineering field like Civil, Mechanical, Chemical, Computer Science, Information Technology, Electrical, etc.The salary for such professionals in India would range between Rs, 3Lakhs to Rs.10Lakhs per annum depending on the category of engineering and experience.The admission process is also similar to that of MBBS and it is very competitive in India. There are thousands of students competing for the limited amount of seats available. There is also management and reserved seats but they ask for large sum of money.
Here is complete detail about Engineering career options.
Top Engineering Colleges:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai
- Birla Institute of Technology, Pilani
- National Institute of Technology, NITs
- B.Sc Biotechnology: B.sc in Biotechnology is a relatively new course in biology after 12th and its a subject which involves the application of technology in the field of contemporary biological science. It is applied in the field of medicines, agriculture, food products, bioinformatics, livestock, etc. The scope of a career in this field is very good. Such a person may join as a researcher in Government Labs , in Pharmaceuticals , Chemicals or Agriculture Industries as well as in medical schools.
- B.Sc Microbiology: Microbiology is the study of micro organisms and its a broad subject that covers other smaller areas such as mycology, parasitology, bacteriology, virology, etc. It has application in many fields like that of Medicines (most importantly), Health care, Various Industries, Food and agriculture, etc. A career in this field will find one as a microbiologist who may work in Government or private hospitals, Pharmaceuticals, chemicals, food processing, beverage industries or in any research organization. This is one of the courses after 12th in biology with good opportunities.
- B.Sc Criminology: Criminology is the study of the nature and causes of a crime or the behaviour of the crime. This kind of subject is associated mainly with formation of government regulations and they might also be needed in drafting laws. They are mainly employed in forensic labs as well as in government labs for studying the criminal behaviour of the society to improve the stability of the society and solving criminal cases.
- B.Sc Genetics: Genetics is the study of the structure, function and behaviour of genes at cells, tissues, organs, and individual level. Genetic engineering is such a process which is used in preventing genetic disorders from birth. This is a rapidly growing career field and a career in this field may provide jobs suchs as researcher, engineer, Genetic counselor and many others.
- B.Sc Nursing: B.Sc nursing is a 3-4 years long professional course. This kind of profession deals with taking care of sick and ill people at hospitals and health care centers. It is women’s domain. Their salary ranges between 6500 to 30K rupees per month.
- B.sc Information Technology/BCA: If one do not want to go for engineering then he can go for graduation in computer science courses such as Bsc(I.T.) or BCA degrees. These are 3 years specialized courses in Information technology and computer applications. After this one need to do master degree such as Msc(I.T.) or MCA for better growth. Both these course are in great demand in IT companies in India.
Where to study these courses: These undergraduate courses can be studied in most of reputed colleges and universities in India. The Delhi University, Pune University, Punjab University, etc. offer these courses and the admission procedure to these are totally merit based. There are many colleges under Bangalore University also. Other private and autonomous colleges and Universities providing these courses as follows:
- St. Joseph’s College, Bangalore
- Amity University, Noida
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Shardha University
- Lovely Professional University, Punjab